Creating a Clay Paw Imprint
With Air Dry or Bake Clay
Ingredients and instructions for creating a clay paw imprint
·1/4 cup of salt
·1/4 cup of hot water
·1/8 cup of cold water
·1/4 cup of cornstarch
- In a saucepan, boil salt and hot water.
- In a separate bowl, stir the cornstarch and cold water together.
Once the cornstarch dissolves, add this mixture to the boiling
water. Whisk constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until mixture is a stiff dough.
Make sure to stir constantly so it doesn't burn.
- Drop dough onto table and, once cool, knead for about 5 minutes
or until firm.
- Roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thickness and cut
into desired shape or use cookie cutters, just like you would
cookies. Store any extra clay in a plastic bag for up to 3 weeks.
- Once you have your clay in desired shape take an imprint of
your pets paw by gently pressing their paw against the clay.
You can either let your clay imprint air dry or bake.
You can let air dry for 48 hours (in a dry, breezy location)
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Bake on a foil covered cookie
sheet for about 1 hour
If you would like to decorate your imprint, paint with acrylic
or tempera paints (acrylic cover better, but don't wash out of
Ideas for displaying and creating your paw print;
· Display In a shadow box frame
· Frame with your pets picture in a dual hinged frame
· Hang as an ornament
· Display as a single tile on a plate stand
· Add food coloring to create a colorful memento
· Shape clay as a bone with paw prints on both ends
· Cut clay as a dog house with paw print in the middle